Saturday, March 2, 2013

Something's Fishy

Since it's now the church season of Lent, there's a lot of talk about fish.  Every other commercial on the radio and TV is for some fast food type of fish.  I don't know about you, but nothing about that is appealing to me.  I don't think fish is supposed to be square...?

So today I wanted to share my favorite kind of fish.  It's call barramundi and apparently it's Australian.  I like Australian accents and kangaroos so why wouldn't I like their fish?  My mom spotted this at BJ's (my fave) awhile ago and I keep going back to it.  My favorite white fish used to be talapia but Bob says they eat unsavory items off the ocean floor.  Really, I prefer to take the route of 'what you don't know won't hurt you.'  But now that he knows this information he refuses to eat it. 

In steps barramundi to become my new favorite white fish.  It has a mild flavor and you can really do anything with it.  Also, it's healthy!  Here's how I make it:

1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs--I love these)
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp salt and pepper
3 tbsp oil (preferably olive)

Pour the oil in a shallow dish.  Combine the panko, bread crumbs, and S&P in a separate shallow dish.  Dunk each piece of fish in the oil and then in the bread crumbs.  Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a skillet.  Fry the fish on each side for a few minutes.  The thing I love about fish is that it's easy to tell when it's cooked.  It goes from a light pink to an opaque white.  This is the finished product:

I'm sure you could cook it without the breading but I love this too much to try anything else.  Plus, the way I see it, you're making a healthy choice by eating fish so why not splurge with some panko?  You can serve it with rice, potatoes, salad, sauteed veggies, pretty much anything you want.  OH another great thing about barramundi--I buy it frozen.  And it thaws in about 15 minutes in some cold water.  This is why it's become one of my go-to meals when I haven't thawed a freezer meal. 

Hope you try it!

1 comment: