Saturday, March 9, 2013

BBQ and Bubba

Happy Saturday :)

I hope that everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather today!  I took Ricky for a long walk and there were more people outside than there are in the summer.

Well today is all about barbecue.  Bob and I found out that Al "Bubba" Baker was going to be doing a book signing at Barnes & Noble today.  Unless you're a football fanatic (and older than me), you probably know him for his restaurant in Avon Lake, Bubba's Q.  I'm very embarrassed to say that we have not tried it--but it's now on our list.  Since B is working, he asked my dad and I to go and get some signatures.  Bubba and his daughter (who was also at the signing) put together this cookbook of all their best BBQ recipes.  I can't wait to try the fried chicken.


Let me just say, Bubba is THE nicest guy.  He was so down to earth, talked to everyone there, took a picture with my dad....


And signed Bob's helmet for him. (don't mind the giant stack of lamination waiting to be cut in the background)


It was just a coincidence that I decided to make my own BBQ chicken for dinner this weekend.  The original idea is from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook but I tweaked it a little bit.

 We eat chicken a lot in this house.  So when I spotted this cookbook on sale I just had to have it.

Here's what you need:
4 bone-in chicken thighs (you could use breasts too)
1 tsp onion powder
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chili sauce (I use Hokan--the same brand that makes my fave Hoisin sauce)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or more if you want it spicy)

To freeze: mix all ingredients for sauce.  Pour into a freezer bag and label.  Put chicken skin side down in an aluminum baking pan.  Tape sauce bag to pan and freeze.

To cook: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake chicken, uncovered, for 25 minutes.  Flip chicken and pour a few spoonfuls of the sauce over it.  Bake 20-30 minutes, adding the rest of the sauce 10 minutes before finished.


I love this sauce.  It has a little spice and just an overall different flavor from BBQ out of a bottle.

I also made cheesy potatoes, which are super easy.

Grab:
4-5 potatoes (I used Yukon Gold)
Salt & pepper
Garlic powder
About 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
A lot of cheese--I probably used almost a cup, but we love cheese

Peel the potatoes and boil until soft.  Cut into about 1/2 inch thick chunks.  Place in a lightly greased baking pan.  Pour the milk over the potatoes.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Then dump a ton of cheese on top.  Bake, covered with foil, at 375 until cheese is melted and milk is thickened.  I left mine in the oven while the chicken was baking for the last 20-30 minutes.
I'm in love with these potatoes and they went great with the BBQ chicken!

Tomorrow I'm hoping to make a trip to Pat Catan's (it's been a few weeks so I'm dying to go).  I need to revamp my decorations for Easter/spring!  I'll share them when I do.
 
P.S. Don't forget to change your clocks tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment