Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Freezer Meals...Again!

I know, I haven't written anything for awhile.  I'm sure everyone is heartbroken.  This is partly because we've been eating out a lot and mostly because I've been lazy on my spring break.  I've done a lot of nothing and a lot of Netflix watching.  Today, though, I decided it was time to do my freezer meals.  Our giant freezer in the basement was actually empty.  I almost had a panic attack.  So I called my grandma and asked her to take me to Costco.  The thing about that place is that you go in thinking "I know what I'm going to buy" and come out with 129429402 things you never knew you needed.  I ended up coming out with a work shirt for Bob, flax, and a giant tub a jelly beans (ok, those were actually on the list of things I wanted). 

3 hours and $170 later, I had all the meat I needed and about $70 worth of random things.  I'd say it was a success.  I've managed to narrow down my freezer meals to the following meats: chicken, ground turkey, pork tenderloin, and pork chops.  I was much more organized this time, too.  Since I did my shopping the day before cooking, I was able to make lists of recipes based off of the amount of food I had.  I meant to take a picture of my fridge full of meat, but forgot.  In total, I ended up with
12 chicken breasts
4 pork tenderloins
8 pork chops (which I split in half since they were way too thick)
4 packs of ground turkey (which I also split in half)
6 packs of chicken tenders (maybe 6-7 in each pack)

I did all my prep work the day before cooking.  My coffee table looked like this:
 This time around I used a lot of recipes from my favorite cookbook (sitting amidst the mess).  Since summer is right around the corner (hopefully), I decided to do recipes we can grill.  My hubby and I grill ALL the time in the summer.  I pretty much do entire meals on the grill--really saves on dish washing! 

This morning I woke up and immediately got to work.  The most annoying part is making the counter space.  It's absolutely necessary though.  Basically I just moved the clutter from the counter to the table. 
 It took 3 times, but I think I finally have the technique figured out.  I started with the items I was actually going to pre-cook.  As I've said before, I found this idea from this blog.  I still happen to think it's genius.  I made 1 lb of mexican turkey and 1 lb of italian (recipes here).  I split each into 2 freezer bags so I can make 4 meals out of them. 
 I also made some turkey burgers.  This is a new thing so we'll see how it goes.  I made 4 Asian and 4 BBQ.  I decided to wing these and just started pouring in anything I thought would taste good.  (recipes to come later)

Then I boiled 2 chicken breasts with some salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. You could add veggies if you wanted.

I shredded them to use in random meals.  Our favorite is BBQ chicken sandwiches.  I've also put it on pizza. 
I also saved the chicken broth by freezing it in an ice cube tray.  Once they were frozen, I threw them in a freezer bag.  It's so easy (and healthy) to throw a cube into anything that calls for chicken broth.

Once all this was done it got a little messy.  Nothing will ever prepare me for the amount of raw meat that is handled during this process.  I'm neurotic and it's very hard to keep everything separated and clean.  This time around, I designated the main counter space for preparing sauces and the space by the stove for transferring the meat. 

I started with the pork chop recipes.  I grabbed my previously labeled bags and a bunch of bowls. 
I mixed each sauce and put them on the bag they would later go into.  I soon realized that this uses way too many bowls (duh).  So I then started immediately dumping the sauce in the bag and washing out the bowl. 

After the pork chops I moved onto the tenderloins, using the same method. 
Next came the chicken.  I bought a giant pack of chicken breasts and another of chicken tenders.  I bypassed the thighs this time since the tenders were a little cheaper.  They're also good for throwing into a stir fry.
After 4 hours and disgusting chicken hands, my freezer was filled with 32 meals.
So--with this being my second freezer meal post, I pretty much have it down to a science.  My new favorite thing to do is simply make a bunch of marinades.  That way I have the flexibility to prepare the meal however I want.  I still did a couple crock pot meals, but not as many as last time.  I also found that it really is easiest to find recipes online or in cookbooks rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.  Of course I still tweaked things to my liking :)

What we ate for dinner tonight was actually not a freezer meal.  And I'm so mad I just realized I didn't take a picture of it!  Anyways--since my grandma was kind enough to use her Costco membership on me, I'm giving a shout out to her.  I made her recipe called Torta.  This is one of my go-to meals when I need something quick, easy, and tasty. 

You need:
1 lb ground meat (I used turkey)
Onion or onion powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp ketchup
Pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
2 eggs
Old Bay Seasoning
Raisins (optional)

First, fry up the meat in a skillet with the onion or onion powder (for all the onion haters out there) and the bay leaf.  Once cooked, add the soy sauce, lemon juice, and pepper.  Then add the ketchup.  If you're using raisins, add those too.  I would use them but my husband doesn't like them (anyone surprised? :)  Meanwhile, scramble the two eggs and add seasoning (she says you can add salt and pepper if you need to).  Fry the eggs like you're making an omelette.  When they're almost cooked, dump the meat on top of them.  Heat it up a little longer to finish cooking the eggs.  This is the fun part.  Put a plate on top of the pan and flip over.  I wish I had a picture!!  The egg should be on top of the meat.  Cut into pieces and serve over rice. 

Thank you to my grandma for this delicious meal.  And it only takes about 25 minutes! 

Now I need to go watch American Idol because freezer meals are exhausting. 







No comments:

Post a Comment